Source: SFA (Oxford). Note: ZAR real revenues presented.
Source: SFA (Oxford) Bloomberg
- MRAM market is expected US$ 4 billion by 2029  0.7%
- HDD market is expected US$ 80 billion by 2029  14.5%
- BWTS market is expected US$ 420 billion by 2027  76.1%
- Catalysts market is expected US$ 48 billion by 2027  8.7%
Source: SFA (Oxford), DESMI
Ruthenium (Ru) based catalysts, which possess appropriate hydrogen bonding energy and reasonable price, have demonstrated strong potential as an alternative to Pt for the hydrogen evolution reaction (HER)
- A key material for the next-generation semiconductor memory
- Ruthenium and iridium are key ingredients for the hydrogen economy
- The hydrogen economy will drive new demand for iridium and ruthenium
- A platinum-ruthenium catalyst is used in a fuel cell to generate electricity
Key areas of demand:
- hard disk drives (HDDs) market: the global hard disc drive market revenue is expected to surpass US$ 80 Bn by 2029
- spin-transfer torque magneto-resistive random-access memory (STT-MRAM) market: the MRAM market revenues will grow 170X from 2018 to 2029, reaching almost $4 billion in revenues.
- new ballast water treatment systems (BWTS) market: the Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems (BWTS) market accounted for $38.34 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $420.52 billion by 2027 growing at a CAGR of 34.9% during the forecast period.
- catalyst market of hydrogen revolution reactions (HER):The global catalyst market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 4.5% from 2020 to 2027 to reach USD 48.0 billion by 2027
- Trend Economy. World Merchandise Exports and Imports by Commodity.
- Heraeus Precious Appraisal (March 2020)
- Heraeus Precious Appraisal (July 2020)
- Emerging Memories Ramp Up report (2019)
- Future Market Insights (FMI) (2019)
- Heraeus Precious Appraisal (December 2020)
- Ballast Water Treatment Systems (BWTS) - Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)
- Catalyst Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Raw Material (Chemical Compounds, Zeolites, Metals), by Product (Heterogeneous, Homogeneous), by Application, by Region, and Segment Forecasts, 2020 - 2027
- Heraeus Precious Metals. The Platinum Standard 2020.